Student Complaints

The Student Complaints Policy (WAC 132F-121-060) details the process students should follow to initiate a complaint against college personnel or policy. A complaint is defined as a good faith allegation based on personal experience or knowledge by a student or students that there has been a violation, misapplication or misinterpretation of some service or rule as it applies to students by a staff or faculty member of the institution, resulting in loss or detriment to the student complainant.

Informal Complaint Process

Initially, a student complaint against an instructor or staff member should be referred to the appropriate division Dean or Administrator. District policy and procedures recommend that student complaints to be addressed on an informal basis first. This is considered an Informal Complaint Process. The first step for students is to contact Dr. Dan Johnson at

Formal Complaint Process

If the student feels the complaint was not resolved through the Informal Complaint Process, the student has the option of filing a Formal Complaint online here: Student Formal Complaint Form.

Student Grade Complaints

Student grade complaints as detailed in WAC-132-121-090 regarding grades received for course work can be filed using the informal or formal process. It is recommended that the informal process requesting a forum with the instructor and Dean serve as the initial step in the informal complaint process. Please contact Dr. Dan Johnson at

A student may only grieve the final grade received in a course. If the grade dispute is not resolved informally, the student may use the formal process to file only after the final grade has been received, however the complaint may include any or all of the entire component of the formal grade.

A formal complaint regarding a grade must be filed no later than the last day of the quarter which follows the quarter in which the disputed grade was received, except that a complaint regarding a spring quarter grade may be filed through the last day of the following fall quarter.

Student Complaints Officer 

The Dean of Student Life is the designated student complaints officer and is available to meet with students to review the student complaint processes. The Dean will review/discuss the complaint, provide students with strategies to resolve the complaint, and guide students through the informal and formal complaint submission process. An appointment can be scheduled by contacting Dr. Dan Johnson at