Important Service Update:
From Jan. 12 through at least Friday, Jan. 28, several student services at South Seattle College are shifting to remote and virtual assistance only, including Running Start. This change has been made due to significant staffing shortages that impact our ability to provide in-person services with consistency, and to help keep our campus community safe during the current COVID-19 omicron variant surge.
Running Start Virtual Operation Hours: Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Help with scheduling appointments and general questions
- Mondays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. and 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Join Zoom Chat
- Zoom or phone appointments
- Current students can schedule an advising appointment through Starfish
- Future students can set appointments through our virtual Zoom service (see above) or by leaving a voicemail at 206-934-5387 with your name, phone number, and details of your request.
Please visit our Virtual Assistance page for the latest remote contact options for additional departments to get the support you need.
New & Prospective Students
Registration for Winter Quarter begins November 1, 2021. Apply now! If you are a new or prospective Running Start student and have questions, please email RunningStart.South@seattlecolleges.edu.
We are operating primarily remotely at this time due to public health recommendations.
Current Running Start Students
To schedule an appointment with a Running Start advisor (current students only), visit Starfish and indicate your preferred method for connecting with the advisor.
If you are experiencing challenges with Starfish, please use our Live Chat:
- Click zoom.us/my/ssc.advising or copy/paste the URL into your browser to chat with Advising support staff from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Mondays and Thursdays only.
- Advisors are available for appointments via Zoom (preferred) or phone. Limited in-person appointments are available Tuesday through Thursday, from 10:00 to 2:00. Questions can also be directed to RunningStart.South@seattlecolleges.edu
Welcome to the Running Start program at South!
Running Start is an exciting option that allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll tuition-free in college courses. Credits earned at South Seattle College can satisfy high school graduation requirements and are transferable to most 4-year colleges and universities.
- Students need to have achieved junior or senior status as determined by their Washington state public high school. Home-schooled students may also access Running Start.
- Students need to demonstrate they are prepared for college-level work by taking our English and Math assessment test and placing into college-level English (ENGL&101) and/or college-level math.
What does Running Start Cost?
Tuition for college level courses is free! The number of credits you are eligible to take for free is determined by your high school counselor based on the number of high school classes you are taking at the same time.
Students are responsible for books, transportation and mandatory student fees. Students eligible for free or reduced lunch at their high school are eligible for the book loan and fee waiver program.