Frequently Asked Questions

Need more information? The answers to many common Running Start questions can be found here.

If you are a high school junior or senior currently enrolled at any Washington state public high school, or are home-schooled, you are eligible for Running Start.

Before you can register for classes, you must first take an English and Math assessment test and place into college-level English (ENGL101) and/or college-level math, and also complete the Steps to Enroll.

All Running Start courses are tuition-free! However, students are responsible for the cost of textbooks, transportation and any mandatory student fees. Students eligible for free or reduced lunch at their high school are eligible for the book loan and fee waiver program.

Running Start courses are available at any of Washington’s 34 community and technical colleges. For the Seattle College District, follow the links below to learn more about taking Running Start courses at North, Central or South Seattle Colleges.

Running Start credit will transfer to all state schools and universities in WA state.

The Running Start program does not cover any tuition or fees for the summer quarter.

However, current and new Running Start students may take classes during the summer quarter for full cost. Fee Waiver students must also pay for all costs associated with classes, including tuition, fees, and textbooks during the summer.

If you wish to take summer classes, you will need to provide a written letter from your high school counselor, giving you permission to enroll in summer classes.

If you are not participating in Running Start, you may be eligible to take summer classes through the Underage Program.