Multi-Occupation in Engineering & Technology (MOET)
Remote Operations UPDATE:
Health and safety measures are in place for all programs. View our latest campus entry procedures for on-site classes to learn more.
For classes with on-site lab curriculum, students will be grouped and have specified times on campus in order to help maintain self distancing and keep everyone healthy. Current students should check with your instructor for more information.
Use Your Military Training or Related Work Experience to Earn a Degree! South Seattle College now offers a transferable MOET Associate in Applied Science (AAS-T) degree that is a great fit for active U.S. Military service members and veterans, as well as working professionals without a degree.
The technical program provides a faster track to earning a degree and preparing for a career in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields, and eligible students can earn credit for their military education and prior learning.
The MOET program:
- Addresses an individual’s career gaps while avoiding redundant learning. It’s designed to prepare military and veteran students and working professionals with new or advanced credentials while reducing time and cost by up to a year.
- Capitalizes on your personal military or professional experience by combining general education classes with your Military Occupation Specialties training or prior work experience to earn your degree and entry to or advancement in the civilian workforce.
- Prepares graduates for employment and promotion in STEM fields, as well as entry into bachelor’s degree programs at Seattle Colleges and universities that have articulation agreements with Seattle Colleges.
- Offers general education classes that are designed to expand your knowledge and experience. Each aspect of the MOET program is designed to elevate career opportunities and earning potential in an increasingly tech-focused job market.
- Gives working students the flexibility to grow their skills while working in their current field, increasing their earning potential. You can choose from online, in-person, or hybrid classes offered at times and locations that can support a full or part-time work schedule.
How the MOET Program Works
After applying, your military training and/or field experience will be evaluated for college credit equivalency. Then, you’ll need to complete 25 general education credits to receive a MOET Associate Degree (AAS-T). In addition to general education requirements, you will learn skills in critical thinking, quantitative analysis, written composition, and effective presentation skills. You will be able to demonstrate both applied and theoretical knowledge related to engineering and technology, and the value of teamwork and diversity.
Earn a degree in six months by meeting the following requirements:
- Completion of at least 6,000 certified hours of on-the-job training (OTJ)
- Completion of at least 450 certified hours of military or industry course work
General Education Courses (25 credits):
- ENGL& 101 Applied Composition (5 credits)
- CMST& 220 Public Speaking (5 credits)
- PSYC& 100 Introduction to Psychology or SOC& 101 Introduction to Sociology (5 credits)
- MATH& 107 Applied Mathematics (5 credits)
- Transfer-level Natural World course (5 credits) Degree Requirements 90 Credits
There are a variety of engineering and technology jobs available in emerging fields and exciting industries. South’s MOET program prepares graduates for many career pathways, including:
- Engineering Technician
- Service Technician in Building Automation
- Facilities & Operations Maintenance
- Energy/Sustainability Coordination
- Completion of the Sustainable Building Science Technology bachelor’s degree at South will open up a wider world of job opportunities.
Benefits for Veterans Entering the STEM Workforce:
- STEM occupations are projected to add one million new jobs by 2022
- STEM careers are typically high-wage
- The Institute for Veterans and Military Families survey reported 43% respondents specialized in STEM-related roles in the military.
- STEM skills provide valuable employment opportunities that take advantage of skills many veterans already have.
Why Choose South Seattle College?
- The MOET program not only prepares students for employment and promotion in STEM fields, but the opportunity to transfer into 14 different Bachelor of Applied Science degrees in the Seattle Colleges District, including Sustainable Building Science Technology at South .
- South is deemed a Veteran Supportive Campus by the Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs. Our services including the on-campus Veterans Student Center and the Student Veteran Association.
- Military service teaches an array of skills and disciplines needed to manage and solve complex problems. South Seattle College understands the value of military experience in the workplace, and is committed to preparing all students for a successful and fulfilling future!