Join us for 'The Future of Work: Upgrade Your Building Science Toolkit' Panel Webinar!
Are you prepared for the jobs of the future in building science, operations, and management? Join us for this panel discussion about how the building science and technology field is changing and what roles are in demand.
Manage The Green Technologies of Tomorrow
"Green" and sustainable buildings don't stop with the completion of construction – they consist of on-going, interactive systems that require advanced knowledge and skills to design, manage, and diagnose over time. The fast pace of technological change and challenges demands advanced experience, knowledge, and skillsets of those who are charged with the continuing care and evolution of sustainable buildings and environments.
The Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) in Sustainable Building Science Technology (SBST) program will prepare you to apply expertise and systems knowledge to support highly technical building operations. The SBST degree, which builds on your prior education and work experience, positions you to launch a career where you understand building functions and finance in order to manage structures that are healthier and more durable, efficient, economical, and sustainable.
This 90-credit degree program offers you a pathway to becoming a skilled Building Science Professional. SBST emphasizes upper-division coursework that focuses on the complexities of building science, energy codes, building codes, and facility management.
Information Sessions - Sign-up Today!
We are currently offering Information Sessions through Zoom (online video chat), please sign-up for a date below:
|Wednesday, July 8, 2020||6 p.m.||Zoom||Sign-up|
|Wednesday, July 15, 2020||6 p.m.||Zoom||Sign-up|
|Wednesday, July 22, 2020||6 p.m.||Zoom||Sign-up|
|Wednesday, July 29, 2020||6 p.m.||Zoom||Sign-up|
To schedule a one-on-one meeting please contact Alex Steele, program manager, at email@example.com.
Degrees & Certificates
Expand career opportunities and build on two-year technical degrees with BAS programs that emphasize hands-on learning, typically focused on a particular industry. Learn more.
- Credits to complete: 180.0
- Estimated program length in quarters: Full Time - 6 | Part Time - Part Time Option Not Available
Hermanson SBST Center
Classes are held in the Hermanson Sustainable Building Science Technology Center, located at South Seattle College's Georgetown Campus. The center is named after Jerry Hermanson, a construction industry trailblazer, who has long supported the college and its students through the Jerry and Linda Hermanson Endowed Scholarship and the Hermanson Sustainable Building Science Technology Endowment, which supports SBST program activities.
SBST BAS Goals
- Meet industry demand. Beginning in 2008 with the original skills panel held by the Seattle King County Workforce Development Council, industry has requested and driven the demand for a degree in sustainable building science technology.
- Offer an applied bachelor's degree program, of which there are currently none in Washington State.
- Create an affordable educational pathway for individuals currently working in industry to complete a bachelor's degree program without having to leave the state or resign from a job.
- Provide an opportunity for journey-workers in the trades to advance their careers.
- Provide an avenue for individuals currently working in industry to gain skills that will allow them to become more effective professionals in building science.
- Offer the opportunity for people working in sustainable building science technology to broaden and advance their skills.
- Prepare employees who can fill the critical unmet demand for sustainable building science technology professionals.
- Develop a well-regarded bachelor's degree program that will create a conduit for graduates who wish to enter a masters degree program.
- Contribute to the attainment of the state's higher education and regional economic development goals in a high-growth industry by creating a better career ladder for individuals that are currently working as sustainable building science technology professionals.
Meet with the Faculty
Appointments can be scheduled to meet on- or off-campus. Because we understand the need to be flexible, we’ll find something that works for you. Feel free to contact a faculty member to get more information or meet in person, via phone, or by web conference.
Sustainable Building Science Technology Faculty Coordinator
Office: Georgetown Campus, Building C, Room 222A (C222A)
Sustainable Building Science Technology, Program Manager
South Seattle College — Georgetown Campus
6737 Corson Ave. S., C222B
Seattle, WA 98108
Program lengths are estimates, not guarantees. For the most current program information, please check with the program contact.