- work with undecided and prospective students on major and/or vocational program selection.
- help students understand South Seattle College academic and professional/technical degree requirements.
- help students understand admission, degree, and graduation requirements at receiving institutions.
- assist students with developing educational plans.
- help students learn strategies for academic success, e.g., study skills, test-taking, time management, learning styles, and stress management.
Counselors provide educational counseling to support student success and development. Because of the counselors’ educational backgrounds and work experience, they use professional-level counseling knowledge and skills to help each student and prospective student establish educational goals based on assessments of his or her personality, interests, skills, values, life experiences, motivation, confidence, learning style and resources. Counselors are uniquely qualified to help students and prospective students who have not selected a major or program of study with the decision-making process and the selection of educational goals.
In addition to helping students establish educational goals, counselors also help students develop educational plans to accomplish their educational goals. Counselors provide academic advisement. In addition to helping students understand South Seattle College’s academic and professional/technical certificate as well as degree requirements, counselors also assist students in understanding admission, degree and graduation requirements at receiving institutions (especially four-year colleges and universities). Each quarter, counselors help students select courses as well as develop short-term and long-term educational plans.
Educational counseling also includes helping students learn specific strategies for academic success. Counselors help students improve study skills, test-taking skills and time-management skills. In addition, counselors help students resolve problems related to classes, understand college policies and procedures as well as adjust to college life.