If you are currently experiencing a crisis situation, please call 911 or contact CRISIS CONNECTIONS: 1866-427-4747 (24-HR Crisis Line)!
At South Seattle College, career counseling and exploration are crucial services provided by our counseling department. Counselors can help you assess your interests, skills, values and personality preferences; identify barriers to decision making and goal setting; investigate the world of work; explore career transition issues; and help integrate your career goals into your educational planning process.
Exploring a career and determining which path may be right for you can be done in different ways. The following are some options offered to students:
- Help with assessing students’ confidence, interests, motivation, personalities, skills, values as well as other aspects of self, and help correctly interpret this information as part of a career decision-making process.
- Assessing your unique personality and patterns of interests can be helpful in organizing information about yourself, making the major selection or career search process easier. We offer two different assessment instruments:
- Strong Interest Inventory: Compares your interests with people in a variety of occupations to assess similar or dissimilar interests.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): Helps students identify their personality type and occupations that are most attractive to persons with a similar personality type. The indicator helps students learn which work environment can provide career satisfaction for each personality type.
- To determine which assessment is most appropriate, please make an appointment to meet with a counselor by calling 206.934.6409. A $31 fee per assessment is charged for currently enrolled South Seattle College students.
- Introduce the student to computer-based resources such as WOIS and make referral to the Career Center / WorkSource for additional occupational exploration options and career workshops (resumè building, etc.).