Campus Closure Information
Is the College Closed?
In the event of inclement weather, power outages, natural disasters and other unexpected circumstances, South Seattle College may close or have delayed starts. To find out if South is closed and your classes/activities have been cancelled, please follow the steps in the “To Find Out of South Campus is Closed” section.
Note that South Seattle College is open and classes are running unless there is a message indicating that we are closed.
Conditions permitting, the target for making a closure decision is by 5 a.m. on the impacted day (with closure messages sent as soon as possible thereafter). For evening classes, conditions permitting, a decision will be announced by 2:30 p.m. On weekends, campus decisions and announcements will be made if students and staff are on campus for classes and workshops.
In event of widespread or catastrophic emergency, a decision and announcement will be the same for all campuses and offices in the Seattle Colleges District, following discussion by the college presidents and chancellor (or their designees), or by the Emergency Communications Committee, as called for in the district-wide emergency communications plan.
To Find Out if South Campus is Closed:
- Website homepage – www.southseattle.edu (Note: in a power outage, the website could be impacted)
- Official South Facebook and Twitter
- Students receive closure and emergency messages to their email on file with the college through the SeattleCollegesAlerts System. Students are encouraged to log in to their account and add a mobile phone to receive text and voicemail messages as well. Learn more about the SeattleCollegesAlerts system.
- Visit FlashAlert.net
- Click on Seattle on the map
- Either enter South Seattle College in the search box OR
Select "Colleges and Universities" from the Organization Category list
- Click on the college's name and look for a message in the first box
- Take note of the message and confirm the "active dates" and time.
- If there is no message, South is open and classes are running.
- FlashAlert.net transmits messages to local television and radio stations.
- You may sign up to receive alerts directly to your email address.
If the college is opening at 10 a.m., all classes scheduled to start before 10 a.m. are cancelled UNLESS your instructor made specific arrangements to resume class once the late start closure ends. This would most likely occur with longer classes lasting several hours, and your instructor may include this information in your syllabus, on Canvas, or via email.
If there is a delayed start, the south and center gates to main campus may be closed due to ice. In that event, use the north lot entrance.
- We will not send messages if campuses are open.
- While every effort is made to have closure decisions as a Seattle Colleges District, it is possible conditions could be considerably worse at South Seattle College's campuses compared to North Seattle College or Seattle Central College. In those cases, South may make a late start or closure decision while others remain open.
Reminders for Faculty & Staff:
- Campus divisions, offices, faculty and staff should change their personal recorded telephone greeting to reflect closure information. Please refer to your voicemail system instructions to make the change remotely.
- If the campus is open, but you are unable to get here, notify your department. Call or leave a message on your department’s main phone line, not on a support staff member or administrator’s personal line. If your message is left on a main line, anyone who makes it to campus can retrieve the message.
- As your own status or the campus status changes, please update your personal voice mail message immediately, so that students and staff are able to get the most current information. Don’t rely solely on your department’s support staff to be able to relay your status to students.
- For contracted events at South (e.g., a meeting in the Jerry Brockey Student Center) alternate closure action may be necessary. For example, if meeting participants are able to reach the campus and wish to continue their meeting that event location on the campus may need to remain open. Decisions about specific building opening/closing and staffing in these situations will be made by the President or designated official and senior staff involved.
- Some personnel are asked to be available for work in spite of these weather conditions - they are designated as essential personnel. Typically this includes facilities and security employees. Should you have a question about your own status, please check with your administrative supervisor.
- Online, Hybrid and Web-enhanced Courses During Unexpected Campus Closures: Faculty who have online, hybrid and web-enhanced courses may continue instruction online during campus closures. However, there can be no required deadlines during the closure period. This is to accommodate students who may be without power, etc., during the same event that caused the college closure. For classes that have work due during the closure period, deadlines must be extended to accommodate the closure.