Health and safety measures are in place for all programs. View our latest campus entry procedures for on-site classes to learn more.
For classes with on-site lab curriculum, students will be grouped and have specified times on campus in order to help maintain self distancing and keep everyone healthy. Current students should check with your instructor for more information.
Put Your Career In Overdrive
Maintaining everything from trucks and tractors to ferries and forklifts; diesel engine technicians serve a vital role in keeping our society connected and running smoothly. South Seattle College’s Diesel & Heavy Equipment Technology program will prepare you with the skills required to maintain a family-supporting career in the industry. Our ASE-based curriculum is certified to the latest in NATEF standards, and will prepare you for all aspects of diesel and heavy equipment repair.
Graduates find career opportunities in trucking, heavy equipment, construction, industrial machinery, marine diesel, and material handling. Supervisory opportunities are available as shop service representatives, service managers, foremen and construction equipment superintendents.
WATCH: Diesel & Heavy Equipment Technology On-Demond Information Session
Degrees & Certificates
Two-year degree for students who want to start a career immediately after graduation. Learn more.
- Credits to complete: 126.0
- Estimated program length in quarters: Full Time - 7 | Part Time - Part Time Option Not Available
Two-year, job-training degrees that prepare students for immediate employment. Students take additional general education electives, making this a good option if you intend to transfer to a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degree program or may attend a university in the future to earn a bachelor’s degree. Learn more.
- Credits to complete: 143.0
- Estimated program length in quarters: Full Time - 7 to 8 | Part Time - Part Time Option Not Available
Certificate programs provide students with a set of skills to find a job or stay current in a profession. Many certificates are designed to lead to a degree. Learn more.
- Credits to complete: 72.0
- Estimated program length in quarters: Full Time - 3 | Part Time - Part Time Option Not Available
Student Technicians Learn Skills To:
- Repair, troubleshoot and maintain trucks, buses, construction equipment, ships, trains, generators, power equipment, tractors and agricultural equipment.
- Use computer-based scanning tools to access fault codes and make accurate diagnoses of the problem. Technicians frequently use electrical multi-meters, pressure gauges and flow meters to find the cause of mechanical failures.
- Work in a variety of environments; from high-tech labs to maintaining vehicles in a hands-on shop environment.
- Follow proper safety procedures, including how to maintain personal protective equipment.
- Acquire Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications including: OSHA, Forklift Operation, Electrical, Brakes & Suspension, Hydraulics & Drive Train, Engines and Engines Rebuild.
Program lengths are estimates, not guarantees. For the most current program information, please check with the program contact.