Due to the COVID-19 closure, our office is closed and we are not administering any tests at this time.

Students may complete their English placement remotely by taking our English Directed Self Placement tool.(Please note, Basic and Transitional Studies Level Four and below and International Students with F-1 Visas are not eligible for the Directed Self Placement tool).

If you need to take a math placement test before our office is open, you may take the math placement test online through Seattle Central College. You must send all placement test scores to studentplacement@seattlecolleges.edu to be able to register for classes.

GED® Testing

Before GED® Testing

Register, prepare, take Official Practice Tests, and schedule tests at: www.ged.com. You will need an email account and be able to pay with a debit, credit, or pre-paid debit card available for purchase at merchants.

  • The GED® test has been updated to make sure it measures what graduating high school seniors know and what colleges and employers will expect of them.
  • Four (4) separate tests:
    • Science (95 minutes): 50 multiple choice questions
    • Social Studies (70 minutes): 50 multiple choice questions
    • Reasoning through Language Arts (155 minutes including a 10-minute break): 90 multiple choice questions and essay
    • Mathematical Reasoning (120 minutes): 50 multiple choice questions
  • You must score a 145 on each test to earn your GED® credential
  • Administered on computer at an Official GED® Testing Center of your choice
  • Administered in English or Spanish (all 4 tests taken must be taken in the same language)
  • There are 3 forms for each test.   If you have taken all three forms of one test (for example, Science), you will be prevented from retaking Science for 60 days.

You may take the GED® tests if:

  • You are a Washington state resident. 
  • You are at least 16 years old.
    • If you are under 19, you will need to have the Request for Approval to Test form completed by your last high school or school district office and submitted to Student Assessment Services before you may schedule testing.  This releases you from the district to take your GED® tests.
    • If you are under 19 and you were home schooled, you will need to complete and have notarized the Notarized Statement/Letter for Home School Students and submit it to Student Assessment Services before you may schedule testing.
  • You have NOT received a high school diploma.
  • You are NOT currently enrolled in a regular high school.
  • You must have current, Washington state issued ID which includes your name, address, date of birth, signature, and photo.  Cancelled (hole punched), photocopied, or any ID which does not include the above items is not acceptable.  The name and date of birth on your ID must exactly match your name in the GED® registration/database.  If your name has changed due to marriage, divorce, or legal name change, bring the documentation or you will not be allowed to test.  You may use out-of-state government-issued identification only if you also supply paperwork showing that you now reside in Washington (utility bill, earnings statement, etc. with your current, Washington address).

View or download sample questions.

At your MyGED, go to the “Study” link for tools and free sample questions.

At MyGED™, you may purchase the official practice tests, GED Ready™. Your score will give you a good idea if you are ready to take the operational test at a Testing Center. Your results will give feedback on your answers, with direction in how to improve your areas of weakness.

You may wish to enroll in a GED® (day or evening) preparation class at SSC.  Call the Basic & Transitional Studies Office at 206-934-5363 for information.  These classes fill quickly; register on the Registration day and attend the Orientation to enroll. 

Similar GED® preparation classes are offered at the NewHolly Learning Center (day only).

Watch the Computer Based Test Tutorial, so you will know how to manipulate the online test.

Familiarize yourself with the basics of the TI-30XS calculator.  There are many You Tube videos available with a "How to use the TI-30XS calculator" search. 

Free parking is available on 16th Ave SW, but you may have a long walk (uphill). Or, you may purchase a $3.00 day pass at the kiosks in the parking lots on campus. The South Entry and South Parking Lot are closest to Student Assessment Services. Parking Info - Driving Directions

  • Register, schedule, and pay online at least 24 hours before you want to test.
  • Arrive at your scheduled time at Robert Smith Building, Room 76.
  • Present current, Washington state-issued ID which displays your name, address, date of birth, signature, and photograph (may not be photocopies or expired).  The name on this ID must exactly match that on your registration. You must be a WA state resident to take the test in Washington. If you are a resident but have an out of state ID, bring a current earnings report or utility bill, address included, when you come to test. Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a Washington State ID card. See the locations and paperwork requirements at the Washington State Department of Licensing.
  • You will sign in electronically, have your photo taken, and sign in-and-out on a log sheet.
  • You will have the use of an erasable board and pen during tests (as “scratch paper”).
  • You will have online use of aTI-30XS Multiview Scientific Calculator for parts of the Math, Social Studies, and Science tests.  You may also bring your own TI-30XS calculator, but ONLY that model.
  • You will store all outerwear and belongings (including watches, large jewelry, all electronics) in lockers in our hallway; ONLY your locker key and ID are allowed in the test lab.   Lockers are 12” x 13” x 18”; leave anything larger at home.
  • If you schedule more than one test during the same session, you will be allowed a 10-minute break between them. Return within the 10 minutes; if you take longer, those minutes will be deducted from your second test allowance.  (Schedule separately rather than “back-to-back” if you want a longer break).
  • You may schedule for either English or Spanish tests (all 4 tests must be in the same language).
  • With the exception of ten-minute breaks between tests (when scheduled for more than one) and between the two parts of the Language Arts Test, there are NO BREAKS during testing.  The ONLY exception to this is if you have an approved accommodation in effect. 
  • You will receive an email directing you to MyGED™ to view your score
  • When do I get my scores? How do I get them?
    See "How to View GED Scores."
  • When do I get my certificate?
    After you have completed and passed all four tests, the GEDTS (GED Testing Service®) will mail your certificate after you order it at your MyGed site.. Be sure to keep any address changes updated on your MyGED site.
  • Do I have to take a GED® preparation class? 
    No, you can study on your own. There are Official GED® Ready practice tests available on the GED® site where you register. If you use materials outside of this site, be sure that they are for the 2014 Version of the tests.
  • I recently moved here from Texas. Can I use my Texas driver’s license as ID?
    Yes, but you will also need to prove that you currently reside in Washington state. Bring a current earnings report or utility bill, address included, when you come to test. Of course, it’s best to visit the DMV here for a new license.
  • I’m 16 years old and not yet driving. What can I use as photo ID?
    You cannot test without government-issued, photo ID. Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles to get a Washington State ID card. See the locations and paperwork requirements at the Washington State Department of Licensing.
  • I’m under 19 but don’t want to visit my old high school to have the “Permission to Test” form completed. What can I do?
    The Seattle school district prefers that you visit the Enrollment Center at the John Stanford district headquarters office. For Highline and Tukwila districts, you will need to visit the high school. For others, call the high school to inquire if they, or a district office, can complete the form. Of course, you can always wait until you turn 19 to begin testing.
  • I’m 17 years old and living here in Seattle with my grandmother. I was last in high school in California. How can the “Permission to Test” form be completed?
    Contact the enrollment or main office of the school district in which you now live. They may have to enroll you in the district in order to then release you. Have patience with this process and allow time to complete this paperwork before testing.
  • If I start testing at SSC, can I go to another testing center to complete?
    Yes, you can schedule to test at any approved testing center which appears on the list when you are scheduling.
  • Why do you not test on EVERY Wednesday?
    Student Assessment Services does not administer GED® tests during the 3 weeks before a quarter begins, or the first week of a quarter, as that is a high demand time for our placement testing services. While we are closed you can continue testing at other test sites (see previous answer).
  • I completed high school in Mexico but have no documentation of my completion. Can I take the GED® here?
    Yes. The same registration and other requirements apply.
  • Are GED® tests offered in any other languages?
    You may take the computer based tests in either English or Spanish; however, ALL four tests must be taken in the same language.
  • How many tests can I take in one day?
    GED® sessions will extend from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm on most Wednesdays of the quarter. You may take as many as you can fit into the session. The 4 computerized tests total over 8.25 hours, too long for one session. You will not be allowed to schedule online if the combined time for the tests exceeds the session limit. Plan on at least two sessions to complete.