

College Council Agenda

Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2020

CAH 124

Attendees: Larry Cushnie, Rose Kolovrat, Dieny Aras, Jen Mills, Mac Witt, Kathie Pham, Jane Harness, Marianna Asaturova, Betsy Hasegawa

Guests: David Sokal

Secretary: Christa Zinke

Begin: 1:30pm

End: 3pm

1. WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS

- Welcome new members & guests
- *Discuss options to find student rep for CC

ACTION ITEM: Mac will send out an e-mail to students requesting participation.

2. REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES

- December 9, 2019

ACTION ITEM: Mac sent out the minutes. He will send a poll to the committee asking for approval.

3. REGULAR BUSINESS

- Discuss Budget Priority Ranking Survey email to campus community
We received 92 responses out of around 600 faculty and staff.
 - Priority consolidation
 - Feedback & improvements

Larry: Do we want to give the raw data to Rosie to view or do we want to discuss and give feedback?

Rose: I think that we should just give the raw data.

Dieny: This seems like it is much more specific than it was last year.

Mac: Next year do we want to come together as a group and come up with

budget priorities instead of polling the campus community?

Larry: I think that we need to remember that this is not the only list of priorities that cabinet is considering.

Jen: As College Council, we come from many different places and we can be

the voice for the various elements of the campus community. If we want to categorize them next year, being cognizant that categorizing somewhat guides people's responses, we could say "safety", "classes" etc and include an "other" category to catch things we might not have thought of.

Dieny: It might be good to use this survey to come up with a starting point to come up with larger categories.

- Discuss timeline and next steps

ACTION ITEM: Mac will send Rosie the list of ranked priorities before sending out to college community

- Next budget meeting tentatively scheduled for March 9, 2020.
- Update on establishing a "mural course" at South
 - *Tentative* Quick update from Sayumi Irej, VP Instruction

4 NEW BUSINESS

- Update on creating a "Resource Guide" for students
Mac sent out a Resource Guide that Erin Barzen and a few other people started to put together a few years ago.

Jane: It was confusing to me what all the resources were and whether this was supposed to be more geared towards staff or students. It appeared that this may have been created by people who already knew what the resources were and did not describe what types of resources are available at each place/department.

Dieny: I think that this is meant to be a spreadsheet that is more a starting point for us to start to fill out. I do know that there is a student resource guide that is in the works for initial enrollment.

Jane: For example, I have students who say that they have not been coming to campus because they don't have money for the bus. I know that there are a few different places to go on campus, but where would I find them?

Dieny: that would be this document.

David: Could we put this on the website?

Mac: That is something that we could do.

Jane: What I need is a flyer that I can put up in my classroom that I can walk a student over and connect them with a list of resources available on campus. But I don't want to make this just about BTS students.

Dieny: I think that this is more than just for your students. I think this

is needed for all of our students. This could be something that is distributed during New Student Orientation.

David: Students all have their cell phones with access to the website and it would be easier to update that on a regular basis.

Jen: I worry that we may miss students who may not type in "transportation" and may miss ways to find "bus fare" etc.

Larry: I think that we should stress test this and figure out where our gaps are.

Mac: I am wondering where the best place to put this on the website is.

Jen: I think a start would be an FAQ page. I just looked and I don't see one on there.

Jane: I think that is a good idea and it might fit under "Campus

Resources”

- Update on the Clean Air Task Force and future campus-wide smoking ban
Rosie sent an e-mail to Larry and I. Because there has been shifting in the administration, we may have to push back the smoking ban from it’s original implementation of Winter 2021 to Spring 2021. I said that may be better to give us more time, but I wanted to ask what you thought. I do not think that College Council will have a huge role. It looks like Greg Dempsey will lead the Clean Air Task Force.

Betsy: I also think that it is important to keep students involved in the Task Force.

Mac: That might be an advantage to pushing it back, too, since not a lot of students are on-campus during the summer time.

- Request for College Council consideration online submission form

Mac: A couple months ago we mentioned that no one ever gives us requests for consideration through the paper form. So, I added a College Council form to the College Council website. It is a Microsoft Form so I will get an e-mail whenever someone fills it out.

Mac: I sent it out in the last e-mail and haven’t heard anything yet.

Christa: I think that we should send it out in an e-mail on it’s own so that it does not get lost.

Dieny: I agree, I think that maybe we send it out after the budget meeting.

- Prayer space on campus during construction

Mac: I wanted to ask Krisna about this because the triangle room in JMB is being turned into a TV room. There is the prayer space in CAH, but then there is no other space on the other side of campus.

Betsy: There are some safety issues with the CAH praryer space since it is usable from the street. We could easily put in some obscuring film to give a bit more privacy to students.

- Update on installing a “ballot box” on campus

Larry and Mac worked with the election council and there is funding to put a ballot box on either main campus or Georgetown. We were thinking of putting the ballot box

Larry: It needs to not be gated in and it needs to be accessible by the larger community as well as the college community. We are thinking that it would be on the North entrance, six or seven car lengths in from the streets. Georgetown is also underserved, but there isn’t necessarily the population density and it would serve more people in the area.

Mac: Krisna brought up a good point about students with disabilities having to walk all the way to the North entrance.

- Collaboration with Labor Education & Research Center on student workers –Larry
The LERC is at Georgetown and is funded through a byline in the state governemnt. Their goal is provide support for labor education for education. One of the things I have been pushing for is for them to do more work here at South. One of the things we are looking for is information about students work, how many students are working while in school, etc. What we are trying to do is source information about our students so we can determine what support our students need, not just for schooling but for their families etc. I am looking for College Council’s support to be an amplifier to get a survey out.

Mac: Spring quarter this would go out? Because I think there is a transportation survey that is out right now.

Larry: Yes, I believe so. As soon as I have the survey I will send it along. This would go out to students on campus to determine what their work-life looks like.

- Additional Council priorities for 2019-2020, discuss next steps
 - Faculty Council

Larry: We are putting together the scaffolding for elections. We have a draft of a charter, though we do not want to write the bylaws yet with no elected officials.

- Homeless students on campus, possible shelter and food
- Voter registration on campus

- Partner with USA (student government)

Mac: What are some ways that we can help promote this?

David: Impersonators in JMB, something fun that attracts students and invite students to register.

Larry: We invite faculty to have student government to their classes to help with voter registration and we were able to get a couple hundred students registered to vote. Also, every Spring we invite our local legislators onto campus to talk about the last legislative session.

Jen: Could we table at the Springfest? Or the Academic Showcase. High traffic opportunities. Student cultural events.

Kathie: Do we have a flyer or just a simple reminder that we could include?

We could include the actual voter registration form.

Dieny: The one thing with the New Student Orientation packet is that it is already a very big packet. I think that it is more about buildign the culture of having it in our offices and advertising where students can fill out the form, maybe a place in each building.

Larry: Maybe a dedicated computer in the library.

Mac: Maybe a competition among classes, faculty, or programs to see who can get the most registrations.

Dieny: We could do something like the “Ask Me” campaign that we have set up.

Kathie: We can capitolize on that model that is already set up!

Mac: Could we have iPads and have students register right there?

Dieny: Another idea would be a couple dedicated days with computer labs devoted to getting registered with some sort of incentive for participating.

Larry: I just have students do it in class. I give them 5 minutes to fill it out in class and if they don’t want to fill it out, they can just sit there. I incorporate it into my class curriculum every quarter.

- Fitness Center on campus

No updates. There are rumors that there has been a set-back, but we are unsure when it is going to happen.

- Decreasing student tech fees. –Krisna M.
 - How is this connected to ASI?
 - Funding through AmeriCorps VISTA program?
- Duwamish land recognition plaque
 - Ask Betsy Hasegawa about community building
 - Betsy: I am working on a land acknowledgment. We are currently using an adapted version of the Duwamish. I feel like more of us need to go to events with the Duwamish and let them know that we are people from South. I feel like we as a community need to develop multiple individual relationships. They are happy to come up and do stuff here but they need to feel that we are receptive. If we went and participated in a river clean up or trail building, if we did stuff there, there are things we could do that would matter. Another thing to know is that they are not federally recognize and they are constantly trying to get recognized but I think that any way that we can support them is good. There is also political implications with Muckleshoot tribe and the Duwamish.

5. ACTION ITEMS

- Ask campus community for MORE CC project recommendations
- West Seattle Transportation Coalition Meeting, Jan. 23, 2020

NEXT MEETING:

- **February 11, 2020, 1:30-3 p.m., CAH 124**
- **March 10, 2020, 1:30-3 p.m., CAH 124**