Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

No! Our services are FREE.

No! Our services are open to community members and students alike. This means that community members who are interested in taking classes at South but are still in the process of completing their entry paperwork can still use our services even if they are not yet enrolled or registered in classes. It also means that students can still use our services if they are taking time off between quarters and are not currently enrolled in classes. After students graduate or transfer to a different college, they can still access Benefits Hub! Staff and faculty members are also welcome to use our services.

However, certain services, like Emergency Funding and Housing Funds, are available only to students currently registered in South Seattle College classes. 

Students from any college are welcome to use the Benefits Hub at South Seattle College. However, there are Benefits Hub services provided at six other community colleges in King County. If you want to use a Benefits Hub at your college, you can visit to find the one closest to you!


Benefits Hub coaches meet directly with students in one-on-one appointments as well as facilitating workshops on campus. They help connect students with resources ranging from direct funds like our Emergency Funds and Housing Funds programs, to learning how to balance a budget and get their expenses on track, to navigating financial aid and Workforce funding to help pay for tuition expenses.

Thank you for your support! We appreciate hearing such positive feedback from our community.

If you are a faculty or staff member, the best way you can support this program is to refer your students and spread the word to other faculty and staff members. 

If you work with a student that you think could use some of our services, you can encourage them to make an appointment to meet with us or visit us during our walk-in hours. 

If you want to get more involved, we also have opportunities for faculty and staff to help lead and guide our work on our campus through our Benefits Hub Steering Committee. If you are interested in joining, you can email

If you are interested in donating funds to keep our program running or getting your college campus involved, visit our website at or email

Tax Prep 

Yes! Our free tax prep site is open at South Seattle College from January 14-April 16, 2020. Our tax site is located in the Jerry Brockey Student Center, Room 140 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 12-4 p.m.

Please bring the following documents to the tax site in order to get your return processed as soon as possible:

  • Social Security Cards OR ITINS (Individual Tax Identification Numbers) AND birthdates for everyone to be listed on the tax return;
  • Photo ID;
  • All tax statements; and
  • Health insurance form 1095-A

Orca LIFT 

We can help you apply for an Orca LIFT card if you are eligible. You qualify for Orca LIFT if your household income is less than double the federal poverty level AND you are between 19 and 64 years old. Please check out the chart below to see if your income qualifies.












You will also need to provide a form of income verification AND a government-issued photo ID (like a driver’s license). The most commonly provided forms of income verification include an EBT card, ProviderOne medical services card (Apple Health/Medicaid), or pay stubs from the last 30 days. If you don’t have an EBT or ProviderOne Card and don’t have pay stubs, check out other forms of income verification that are accepted at

Once you know that you qualify, make an appointment to meet with one of our coaches or visit us during our walk-in hours and be sure to bring a form of income verification and an ID.


Emergency Funds

Before requesting emergency funds, we would suggest looking at other alternatives that are already available on campus. There is a textbook lending library that is a part of our Center for Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity that gives out textbooks on a first-come, first-served basis at the beginning of each quarter. Their office is located in the Jerry Brockey Student Center in room 146/148, and their office hours for this quarter are between 9:15 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. Alternatively, check out the Workforce Education website to see if you would be eligible for Workforce funding, which provides tuition assistance, textbook/tool vouchers, childcare vouchers, and payment for a bus pass or parking permit.

Emergency funds are only used to pay for tuition and fees in rare circumstances that would cause a student to withdraw. We would advise exploring other options with the Financial Aid office to help pay for your tuition. If you have not completed a FAFSA, you can make an appointment with the Benefits Hub to fill out an application.

Thank you for your patience. We are currently waiting for funding to become available from our community partners. We will notify students who have signed up on our waitlist as soon as funding becomes available. At that point, you will be directed to fill out our online application, which asks a few short questions about the amount of money you are requesting and what you are intending to use it for.

We work with students who are experiencing varying levels of homelessness and housing insecurity to find the best options to support their ongoing housing needs. The type of support and the referrals that we make to students varies depending on the student’s unique housing situation and the types of support that they qualify for. Our work with students often involves leveraging the resources of multiple community partners both on and off campus and referring students to a number of different services and requires scheduling multiple follow-up appointments. We recognize that this answer sounds vague, but it accurately describes the level of creativity and problem-solving that goes into addressing each student’s unique case.

First, we would suggest talking to your landlord to negotiate your situation and see if they would be willing to accept a late payment. Then, make the next available appointment to see one of our Benefits Hub Coaches. We would recommend reserving a full hour-long appointment.

When you come to your appointment, we would recommend bringing the following documents:

  • A government-issued ID;
  • A copy of your lease agreement;
  • A ledger (a record of the payments that you have made to your landlord since signing your lease);
  • A copy of the eviction letter (if applicable);  
  • Your landlord’s contact information

While we offer emergency housing assistance for students who are facing an eviction, the awarding of funds is contingent on approval from our community partner. You must also be a current South Seattle College student enrolled in at least 6 credits to be eligible.

In order to receive housing assistance, we require you to submit various forms of documentation and fill out paperwork. Our Benefits Hub Coaches will assist you with this process; however, please note that the longer it takes for you to provide the required forms of documentation and complete the required paperwork, the longer it will take for your landlord to receive housing funds which may result in escalating your housing instability.

Once your application has been submitted and approved, it typically takes about 10 business days for your landlord to receive their payment.